Monday, January 30, 2012

ONE WEEK DOWN!

Team Lily Gallop!
Despite a bit of rain early on and a few wild horses, we have survived our first week in Aiken!  All of the horses have settled into a routine here, and they are very happy.  We have have been off the farm for a lesson, show or schooling every day this week, and the horses are ready for a well deserved day off!

As I had mentioned in the last post, our newest addition to the team, Wyn Maling, arrived to the farm with her horse on Wednesday.  She and Stellar have had extensive training level experience in Area 1, and she is planning to make it to a one-star this year!  I am very excited to have her as an addition to the team!

On Friday we packed up six horses on the trailer and made our way up to Gibbs' Cross Country Schooling site just south of Columbia, South Carolina.  I schooled Bucky there with Boyd earlier in the week, and I was so impressed with the venue that I brought the students and young horses up later that week.  We had a fantastic school at Gibbs', just lost track of time and were there well into the afternoon!  Each rider was able to focus on their weaknesses and iron out any kinks before our first event next Wednesday.  All the girls were riding well, horses were jumping great, and we are excited to get the season started!



I wrapped up the week with the privilege of having a few dressage lessons with Bettina Hoy.  Boyd Martin and Michael Pollard have made a plan to have Bettina here every month leading up to the Olympics to help many of the US riders with their dressage.  My first lesson felt a bit rough at times as I was acclimating to her terminology and teaching style, but I felt that my second lesson was great.  She rode Bucky for the first half hour, and then had me get on and helped me ride through some movements.  She was really tough on me about riding out to my hand rather than pulling him back, which is always an ongoing struggle for me.  She will be here at the end of February, and I am really looking forward to riding with her again.

We went to visit Charleston for our day off on Sunday!  Stay tuned for updates and the first events of the year, we'll be in touch shortly!

No comments:

Post a Comment